Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 17:30:13 +0200

On 2013-06-12 16:09, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 06:50 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:

"maximum capacity of the cache" - there is the core of the
problem. It seems that the kernel thinks the max capacity is all my
RAM!

Absolutely! Didn't you know that? :-)

Learning all the time. This particular class has been rather a surprise
in that I did not think what I am doing with the collection is so very
unusual.

This system is more than one experiment:

* Use multiple high- resolution and high-speed GigEVision cameras
synchronized with a high powered xenon gas tube strobe system (we
compete with sunlight...). FYI, Allied Vision Technologies
(http://www.alliedvisiontec.com/emea/home.html) have great Linux
support. I recommend their cameras.

* Move this new camera system from a separate computer into our
standard measurement system that is doing tons of other things in real
time.

So, we opted for a very good 16 core CPU and lots of RAM. And it seems
to work! I am amazed at how fast things run. It is collecting data from
many transducers, as well as controlling location identification in real
time with an GPS enabled inertial navigation systems, calculation lots
of things so the operator knows all is well.

All this runs on openSUSE (currently 12.1 - we take a while to make each
jump). The problem I am having here is not typical. Usually, things just
sort of work.

And this will too!

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer