Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1 [SOLVEDish]
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:10:29 +0200

On 2013-06-12 11:04, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

Obviously a brute-force approach that is really only possible on
my system as it does not seem to mess up general usage. The rate of
60 seconds is arbitrary. But each time this is run, the cache has
grown to almost 3 GB.

As you generate 25E6 (roughly) per second, after 60" you gave
generated 1.5GB (not 1.5GiB). The delay you had was 5". In that time
the disk system can write 0.5GB at 100MB/s - so that delay is not
flushing the entire cache. Not enough time at all.

I know. It is like the cache grows, and a small part is typically
flushed. And then, occasionally, a bit more gets flushed that takes more
time. I don't really have a problem with how it flushes things, as long
as two things could be met:

* the cache does not grow endlessly to full RAM
* the flush, when it happens, does not take too long.

A suggestion on the XFS list is that I may need to tweak some variables,
as suggested by Lars Müller and others earlier in the thread. I just
have not figured them out to know what to change. I am working on
that...

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems