Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
Per Jessen said the following on 06/11/2013 08:01 AM:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

* If I run the 'sync(1)' command, the cache use remains. I would have
thought that the cache would be freed as there is nothing left to
cache.

sync flushes changed blocks to disk, but the file systems cache will
still hold data cached for reading.

+1

Try /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

from https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt
Writing to this will cause the kernel to drop clean caches, dentries and
inodes from memory, causing that memory to become free.

To free pagecache:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
To free dentries and inodes:
echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
To free pagecache, dentries and inodes:
echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

As this is a non-destructive operation and dirty objects are not
freeable, the user should run `sync' first.

That sounds like a more sensible path to try.

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013