Re: [opensuse] purging old kernels
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 02:50:21PM +0200, Peter wrote:
On 2013-06-11 13:57:54 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
There is a service called "purge-kernels" which runs on boot by default
which cleans up the multiple installed kernels.

Check with "systemctl status purge-kernels".

I get the following output:
purge-kernels.service - Purge old kernels
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/purge-kernels.service;
disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/purge-kernels.service

So something is not enabled that should be. The empty file
/boot/do_purge_kernels already exists. The file
/usr/lib/systemd/system/purge-kernels.service references
/sbin/purge-kernels, so I simply ran this and it successfully removed the
oldest of the three kernels I have installed, freeing up some space in
/boot.

The question then is should that service be enabled by default and why
wasn't it? Running systemctl status purge-kernels again now, it is still
disabled. How do I set it to enabled?

I released a systemd-branding-openSUSE update actually that should have
enabled it.

Locally you can run:
systemctl enable purge-kernels

to enable it.