Re: [opensuse] Re: new network interface naming scheme (result of systemd & initrd)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 12:01:46 +0200
Linda Walsh wrote:

Brian K. White wrote:
On 6/11/2013 2:23 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Now that we do have the luxury of enough RAM, it's difficult to see
the advantage of not using an initrd.
----
It's nearly twice as slow than w/o it?

It's easier to slip something unseen into your initrd than it is
the kernel?

just to think of a few...

No doubt those are valid reasons, although I had more functionality-
oriented ones in mind.
For my situation, those two reasons don't really apply:
so a total of a few seconds (apprx 4Mb kernel + 6M initrd). In
comparison, most servers take much longer to initiate/run the POST.
I guess someone could "slip" something into mkinitrd and therefore into
the initrd, but as I trust the distro and I trust mkinitrd, it's
a "risk" I can live with.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.4°C)