[opensuse] Howto setup an "Attansic Ethernet controller" with OpenSuse 12.3
Hi,

I installed OpenSuse 12.3 64Bit on a new box with an ASUS Mainboard.

Suse wont automatically initialize the NIC.
YAST does display an entry for an "Attansic Ethernet controller" but says it cant configure the thingy because the kernel device wlan0/eth0 was missing.

I found references with google that this is an older issue with those Attansic NICs.

There are hints at least for OpenSuse 12.2 to install those 2 packages
compat-wireless-kmp-desktop
compat-wireless-scripts

They should contain the ALX kernel module.

I didn't find those on the DVD though.
How can I obtain the needed files and how will I install them as I don't have network access without them?

Btw an Ubuntu Live-CD did work with this chip without having to setup anything manually so there must be a suitable driver somewhere.