Re: [opensuse] Persistence of /media across reboots.
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 06/05/2013 06:14 AM:
On Wed, 2013-06-05 at 00:02 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2013-06-04 23:34, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 04/06/13 13:44, Carlos E. R. escribió:

I don't know if systemd in 12.1 uses the script or not.

No, systemd does nothing with /media (does not mount it, create
it, handle in anyway at all) neither uses boot.localfs which is a
sysvinit early boot script.

In 12.1 it must do something about /media. sysvinit does, so systemd
does it to, else the directory would me missing, and 12.1 uses it.

Getting closer.

On one 12.1 system, during boot, if the directory and sub directories of
the /media mount point listed in /etc/fstab do not exist, they are
silently created.

I don't have a 12.1 system to hand but my memory of it is that there is a config file and appropriate script to populate /media and others tmpfs (or not) on boot.

On my 12.2 there is /etc/tmpdirs.d and /etc/tmpfiles.d
which are used to locally override their counterparts in /usr/lib/

[...] But at initial boot there
seems to be additional magic. This is where the mysterious populating
of /media at boot is coming from.

If you know about the man behind the curtain then very little of what seems like magic actually is.

On another 12.1 system, the system will not boot completely and takes
you to a root login to perform magic.

I cannot see why the two systems act differently. It is 100%
reproduceable. I am guessing that the first system is acting as expected
and that the second system has some mysterious problem...

Now that's where it becomes interesting and that's where one needs to do an absolute side-by-side comparison to see how the config structure differs. I suspect that because you aren't/weren't ware of tmpfiles.d that the config there may differ between machines.

Try running apropos a few times with differing parameters to see what man pages you have.

You mention ordering. Possibly. This is one of the things that systemd is trying, as it evolves, to address.

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013