Re: [opensuse] Re: XFS and openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 07:23:28 +0200
On Tue, 2013-06-04 at 16:45 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:

Do you know if your disc is writing continuously while you execute,
or do you get disk-i/o only ever 30 minutes? ;-)

The disks are accessed every few seconds.
---
Well, there ya go -- if you wanted, you could put those
extra cpu's to work doing encoding and have 1 process that handles writing to
disk.

The compression speed is not the issue. The app buffers 50 raw images
from each camera (each managed in a separate thread). During normal use,
the compression thread is completing compression of the image before
then next arrives. Occasionally, the compression takes longer, which is
expected and is why the images are buffered. Things like process
scheduling and occasional disk flushes are expected. When the expected
delays happen (a couple hundred extra milliseconds compressing/writing
out an image), the buffer gets like two or five deep. But it immediately
recovers. These new delays of five or more seconds during a single
compress cause the buffer to fill. I have increased the buffer depth (a
circular list), but this causes other problems (memory being one of
them).

I want to get to the cause of the delay. Hopefully I can correct it. If
not then I want to understand it so I have confidence that any
corrective actions are the correct ones and can be expected to work. If
we send a measurement system to some other country (this new prototype
is mysteriously being tested in production on autobahns in Germany), I
need to know the collected images are as expected. Re-measurement is a
very costly process. With summer road repairs in full swing, sometimes
re-measurement is not possible.

As an aside, maybe if a system passes SUSE offices someone may be
interested seeing what I think is a novel use of openSUSE.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20