Re: [opensuse] XFS and openSUSE 12.1
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 09:11 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
O_DIRECT

From the open(2) man page:

"The thing that has always disturbed me about O_DIRECT is that
the whole interface is just stupid, and was probably designed
by a deranged monkey on some serious mind-controlling
substances."--Linus

So of course I will have to try it!

I said it will have a major impact. I didn't say if it would be a
good or bad impact!

In general for streaming i/o loads I think it is a good thing. dd as
an example has an option to use O_DIRECT for the i/o. For a normal
random i/o workload it is probably horrible.

OTOH, database tools will sometimes want to totally control how
caching works, so they use O_DIRECT to get as close to the hard drive
as they can.

Greg