From: Ricardo Chung <ricardo.a.chung@xxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Re: Overloaded wireless?
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:10:06 -0500

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 05:41:07 PM John Andersen wrote:
On 5/28/2013 5:31 PM, Malcolm wrote:
On Tue 28 May 2013 07:29:11 PM CDT, Greg Freemyer wrote:
All,

At my parents house they have a old wireless router (maybe 7 or 8
years
old). It normally works fine, but this weekend we had an extra
10
adults at their house and the wireless kept dropping from all the
connected devices every minute or two.

Then, this morning after everyone left, the wireless was stable
again.

The only thing I can think of is that there may be some kind of
device
limit on the router and when we exceeded the limit, it would kick
off
one connection in order to grant the next one and we ended up with
big game of king of the hill.

Does that sound reasonable?

To keep this on topic, one of the devices going on and off line
was my
opensuse 12.3 laptop.

Greg

Hi
DHCP set to only X number of clients? QOS enabled? Overloading the
wireless chip will cause it to run hot an maybe go into thermal
overload?

I agree the most likely problem is that it is set for only X number
of clients.

I've never actually seen a chipset fail due to overload due to
thermal. AFter all there is only so much incoming bandwidth, and
all those extra phones can't pull much more data than one person
downloading.

Many people set their smartphones to drop wifi when it goes to sleep
mode (screen off) in the mistaken belief that this saves battery.
But it also means that each time they fire it up they connect and
disconnect continuously. iPhones were notorious for this.
After a while you can get a wifi router so hozed with this that
nothing
short of a reboot will fix it. Especially if it was configured for
only
a few devices.

+1 True. Thermal issues on the chipse is another possibility too.