Re: [opensuse] 10 days out - 12.3 recommendations
On Thu, 2013-03-07 at 07:43 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

On 07/03/13 00:53, Per Jessen wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

On 07/03/13 00:02, Christofer Bell wrote:
On 3/6/13 12:58 AM, "Basil Chupin" <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
People who want Evergreen *do not* want Tumbleweed.
People who want Evergreen *do not* want *anything* that's new. So
in circumstances where Evergreen is appropriate, switching to
Tumbleweed instead is *NOT* appropriate.
I don't understand. If those who use Evergreen don't want anything
that's new then why not simply install, say, 12.1 and switch off any
and all options which will update that system>>
Evergreen is long-term support, Tumbleweed is for early adopters (aka
bleeding edge), Factory is experimental.
See my reply to dd.
Tumbleweed is NOT "bleeding edge".
According to your post: "[tumbleweed is] for users that want the
newest". If that is not the leading edge, I don't know what is.

There is a significant difference between "bleeding edge" [untested!]
and "leading edge".

Factory is "bleeding edge", but it is also "not quite fully tested -
use at your own risk; if it breaks you get to keep the pieces".
Sounds experimental to me. I'll stick to my version :-)

Factory is "bleeding edge", nobody said it wasn't.

Anyway - the entire current-is-unstable meme is a bit nuts. I'm on
openSUSE 12.2 + GNOME 3.6. It is *very* stable. I use if for 60+ hours
a day; between two laptops, a netbook, and a serious workstation. I've
used 11.4, 12.0, 12.1, etc...

Honestly, 12.0 had some issues [at least of me on my hardwares - it is
important to remember that all such reports are anecdotal, including
mine], but due to one rather crunchy and rough upgrade it is irrational
to paint 'current' as "unstable".

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>