Re: [opensuse] Grub2 and installing multiple distros on same computer - *ADDENDUM*
On 10/03/13 02:22, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2013-03-09 20:35 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

On 09/03/13 13:48, Felix Miata wrote:

On 2013-03-09 13:31 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

It really isn't necessary to install a full system to have a main
bootloader. On a new HD I first partition, then boot Knoppix, from
which I create a filesystem on at least my realboot partition plus the
swapper, and untar what needs to go in /boot/grub plus a 100% penguin
/boot/message. Then I open the Grub Legacy shell to run setup, after
which I fetch the first installation kernel/initrd set(s) I will use
to install an OS.

Correct. But why go thru all this hoopla when you can do this from an
already installed system and save all this time in installing from
Knoppix etc?

When I wrote "new HD", the implication was also _only HD_, the typical
laptop case whether the HD is new or not. Also on many recent desktop
systems, only enough space is provided for a single internal HD, so
with laptops outselling desktops for more than half a decade, only HD
is actually the most common target configuration.

I am not too sure what you are trying to say about the difference
between "new HD" and "only HD" because having just the one HD has
nothing to do with the argument because, for example, on my system all
my OSs - with the exception of XP which I had to put on the second HDD -
are all on the one HDD.

Your (already booting/working) system is not what I was writing about. The system I was writing about had/has nothing installed anywhere.

I wasn't really talking about my system but a clean HDD which will have its first OS installed. If my system came into the picture it was accidental.

I was responding to "all this hoopla", which was/is about getting _anything_ installed initially; and about getting and keeping a separate master/real boot partition (of 400MiB or less) that no installed OS owns or thinks it owns and can discombobulate

"discombobulate" - I like that :-) . 'Discombobulate' - kinda rolls off the tongue, don't it? :-)

at upgrade times. And, it was/is about installing openSUSE or any other Linux without downloading or booting any installation isos or any further booting from anywhere except HD, using Knoppix to ready Grub (Legacy) to initiate (network) installation of the first operating system on a theretofore empty HD

Have you read that article which I mentioned several times? It isn't long but it gives you the story behind bootloaders and then proceeds to give examples on how to partition your HDD to be able to have multiple OSs on the same system. I think that if you read that article it would save heaps of wording in this thread. Trust me :-) .

[pruned]

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor