Re: [opensuse] Grub2 and installing multiple distros on same computer - *ADDENDUM*
On 09/03/13 13:48, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2013-03-09 13:31 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

It really isn't necessary to install a full system to have a main
bootloader. On a new HD I first partition, then boot Knoppix, from
which I create a filesystem on at least my realboot partition plus the
swapper, and untar what needs to go in /boot/grub plus a 100% penguin
/boot/message. Then I open the Grub Legacy shell to run setup, after
which I fetch the first installation kernel/initrd set(s) I will use
to install an OS.

Correct. But why go thru all this hoopla when you can do this from an
already installed system and save all this time in installing from
Knoppix etc?

When I wrote "new HD", the implication was also _only HD_, the typical laptop case whether the HD is new or not. Also on many recent desktop systems, only enough space is provided for a single internal HD, so with laptops outselling desktops for more than half a decade, only HD is actually the most common target configuration.

I am not too sure what you are trying to say about the difference between "new HD" and "only HD" because having just the one HD has nothing to do with the argument because, for example, on my system all my OSs - with the exception of XP which I had to put on the second HDD - are all on the one HDD.

The only possible factor to come into the argument is the size of the HDD - but as, say, openSUSE doesn't require more than 20GB or so then the argument is moot because even internal HDD now come in the 132GB and above sizes -- even with Windows 7 or 8 installed.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor