Re: [opensuse] Grub2 and installing multiple distros on same computer - *ADDENDUM*
On 2013-03-09 13:31 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

It really isn't necessary to install a full system to have a main
bootloader. On a new HD I first partition, then boot Knoppix, from
which I create a filesystem on at least my realboot partition plus the
swapper, and untar what needs to go in /boot/grub plus a 100% penguin
/boot/message. Then I open the Grub Legacy shell to run setup, after
which I fetch the first installation kernel/initrd set(s) I will use
to install an OS.

Correct. But why go thru all this hoopla when you can do this from an
already installed system and save all this time in installing from
Knoppix etc?

When I wrote "new HD", the implication was also _only HD_, the typical laptop case whether the HD is new or not. Also on many recent desktop systems, only enough space is provided for a single internal HD, so with laptops outselling desktops for more than half a decade, only HD is actually the most common target configuration.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/