Re: [opensuse] Root and boot partitions on a sw raid volume (opensuse 12.2 - 12.3 rc1 64bit)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:29:30 +0100
jjletho67-esus@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Booting from RAID1 is no problem, I have several systems on
such a setup.  I use lilo.

How did you install lilo ? manually or through yast installer?
My idea is that booting from raid is not natively supported but it's
still possible with some manual tricks.

With the YaST installer. It warns about lilo not being supported, but
the truth is that it works very well in 99% of my cases. I think I
usually have to tweak the config slightly - e.g. add "raid-extra-boot".
I always double-check, just in case YaST does screw something up.

I think lilo will be soon considered outdated, all main distros have
already moved to grub as their default bootloader and recently
opensuse and several other have started using grub2 (which i
personally find uselessly more complex then grub legacy)

lilo does the job, being outdated or not means little to me. The only
shortcoming I see in lilo is the lack of multi-boot support. One of
these days when I'm bored, I might just fix that.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.6°C)