Re: [opensuse] Seasoned Linux user but new to openSUSE
  • From: Graham Anderson <andtecheu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:11:18 +0000
On Friday 08 Mar 2013 02:05:58 stosss wrote:
Also running the package manager to install or just do the updates it
wants to do is very slow. Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Our servers use a mirroring service and redirecter (mirrorbrain) which
redirects incoming http requests for system updates and software packages to a
mirror based on geographical proximity to your IP address. This includes the
repository metadata that informs the package management stack of available
updates and package versions.

The mirror you are being redirected to may be slow.

You can alleviate this to an extent by tweaking the repository metadata
refresh interval in the following config file:

/etc/zypp/zypp.conf

The config option to uncomment and change is

repo.refresh.delay = 10

By default this will be commented out and the default refresh interval is 10
minutes. You could set this to once per day e.g.

repo.refresh.delay = 1440

Cheers the noo,
Graham