Re: [opensuse] howto use an OLD pentium 3 with 192MB RAM as webradio receiver?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 07:55:02 +0100
On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM, Andreas wrote:
I've got an old notebook from about 2002 that has only a pentium 3 600mhz
with 192mb RAM and a 20 gb hdd.

Now I'm wondering if I could use it as a web-radio receiver or throw it out.

OpenSUSE won't even run the installer with 192mb RAM. :(

Basically I'd like to connect it to my stereo and have it playing some
streams via WLAN.
If got an PCMCIA WLAN-card (atheros) as it hasn't got either LAN nor WLAN
built in.

Some console app that plays streams managed via ssh would be OK.

Any GUI connected by VNC would even be better.

Any suggestions, please?

This is my "go-to" Linux for minimal and older hardware like your old
laptop: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ It's Debian based and will run
on almost anything... probably even the Dead Badger.

It has a really nice "toram" feature as well that moves the entire OS
to a RAM drive.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.2 x86_64, KDE 4.10