Re: [opensuse] howto use an OLD pentium 3 with 192MB RAM as webradio receiver?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 07:44:51 +0100
Andreas wrote:

Hi,

I've got an old notebook from about 2002 that has only a pentium 3
600mhz with 192mb RAM and a 20 gb hdd.

Now I'm wondering if I could use it as a web-radio receiver or throw
it out.

OpenSUSE won't even run the installer with 192mb RAM. :(

Basically I'd like to connect it to my stereo and have it playing some
streams via WLAN.
If got an PCMCIA WLAN-card (atheros) as it hasn't got either LAN nor
WLAN built in.

Some console app that plays streams managed via ssh would be OK.

Any GUI connected by VNC would even be better.

Any suggestions, please?

Hi Andreas

there are small Linux'es out there, but you could also just install SuSE
8.2 or some such. I have a desktop box with a Pentium II 333MHz 96Mb
RAM. It runs SuSE 8.2, current uptime 1533 days. (it runs the
environmental control systems plus access control).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.6°C)