Re: [opensuse] 10 days out - 12.3 recommendations
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 12:48:13 +0100 (CET)

El 2013-03-06 a las 22:26 -0600, Christofer Bell escribió:
On 3/6/13 9:48 PM, "Basil Chupin" <> wrote:
On 07/03/13 07:18, Carlos E. R. wrote:

We want the security patches and maintenance. We do not want new
versions of things, no new features, no unneeded changes. Stability,
not bleeding edge. Conservative, not revolution. A long term support
version, without paying for a expensive commercial version like SLES.

Which is what I thought dd is trying to say: that you want to live in
the past but want to have someone spend their time and effort
maintaining something which is ancient and outdated. I mean if you want
to use old stuff then why not, as I said earlier, just install version,
say, 11.4 and stay with that for 20 years? Why require someone to spend
their time/effort providing you with updates for your old system AS WELL
as providing the exact same for the most uptodate versions? Seems like
a heck of waste of human resources which can be used more productively
elsewhere. But, then, that's my thinking.

You're wrong.

Absolutely.

Nobody is talking of 20 years, for instance. One or two years at most. It is similar to what SLES does, for instance, but with lower spectations/effort.

- -- Cheers

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))