Re: [opensuse] 10 days out - 12.3 recommendations
On 07/03/13 05:48, DenverD wrote:
On 03/06/2013 02:38 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
I don't understand. If those who use Evergreen don't want anything
that's new then why not simply install, say, 12.1 and switch off any
and all options which will update that system? That is, no patches,
no *new* versions of Firefox or Thunderbird or whatever. Just stick
with the original installation and stay with it for 20 years or so -
if this is what "Evergreeners" are all about.

is it so difficult for you to understand that my 11.4 Evergreen is both fully updated with the latest security patches, Firefox 19.0, Thunderbird 17.0, etc etc etc _and_ more stable and dependable than any of 12.2, Tumbleweed or the soon to be released 12.3 ??

it is not about not wanting "new" but rather all about dependable and predictable....no, (for example) KDE 4.99.99 will not roll in tomorrow during an update and require me to spend hours futzing with new problems..

fini

dd

And cannot YOU understand plain English in which the Tumbelweed wiki is written?! I requote again what the wiki states:

quote

The Tumbleweed project provides a rolling updates version of openSUSE containing the latest stable versions of all software instead of relying on rigid periodic release cycles. The project does this for users that want the newest, but stable software.

unquote

Do you understand the words "stable" and "newest , but stable"?

Tell me how different this is to what you wrote above re stability and having latest (security) patches, etc, etc.?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.00 & kernel 3.8.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor