Re: [opensuse] Why everyone should learn to use the command line
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 20:46:31 +0100
Anton Aylward wrote:

Per Jessen said the following on 03/06/2013 10:53 AM:
mt_st is a separate package.

OK, I'll drop the sarcasm: Why isn't 'mt' in a separate package then?

Possibly because 'mt_st' is? I mean, if nobody uses the 'mt' supplied
with cpio, but always use the one from 'mt_st" instead, why bother
changing the packaging? I don't know - I'm pretty certain I have only
ever used mt_st, and I actually use quite a few tapes. I have an
elderly StorageTek L180 with six drives downstairs.

Both CPIO and TAR can be used without a mag tape. In fact CPIO is
used, as I pointed out, in packaging a lot of stuff very intimately
concerned with the kernel and booting.

The initrd for instance. Sure. It's very versatile.

If 'mt' has to be packaged with something, then putting it with TAR
makes more sense than putting it with CPIO.

if 'mt_st' is packaged separately, why can't 'mt' be packaged
separately?

Nobody has claimed it can't.

I know the answer to that; it *CAN*. On my Mageia system it is.
When I get to it I'll check my Fedora system.

So: why, why why?

I'm sure we can find other packaging and dependency inanities

I'm sure we can, but why bother? I mean, do you see any significant
issue in 'mt' not being packaged by itself?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.8°C)