Re: [opensuse] GRUB2 hell
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 09:30:10 +0100
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
I then installed kernel 3.8.2-1 on oS 12.3 RC2 (sda5) - and now I cannot
boot.

All the parameters in the bootloader(s) appear to be OK except when I go to
boot into "safe mode" in 12.3 (sda5) I get the error message:

Invalid Magic number.

What the f*** is "Invalid Magic number"?! *WHAT* number?! Of all the
lame-brained, inane, stupid, meaningless error messages to have ever existed
this one MUST take the cake! I think this beats whatever Windows ever
managed to come with - and that's saying something.

Magic number dates way way back into the medieval perios of Unix.
Originally some variable that was nicknamed "magic number". It now is
generally used to reference a valid filetype or filesystem type.

There is a fairly comprehensive explanation of it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_number_(programming)

I don't have a good suggestion for recovery - guessing... something
broke when installing the new kernel. vmlinuz is wrong? the new
kernel image is invalid? Is it only on 12.3RC2 or all installs?

C.