Re: [opensuse] Free Office Suite
On 03/04/2013 08:35 PM, Jos van Kan wrote:
On 05-03-13 01:13, Mark Misulich wrote:

Hi Jos,
I don't know if Softmaker is better than LibreOffice, so I can't answer
your question. I suspect that you will have to try it for yourself if
you wish to know, as you will have different usage requirements than I
would. Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't care which
program is better, I just want whatever I am using to work well.

I didn't write my post to start a war over which is better or not, I was
just trying to provide some information to the group. Linux is all
about choices. So I offer this information to you in the spirit in which
it was intended, that of trying to inform you about the availability of
a new free office suite.

Regards

Fair enough.

I suppose it would be fair to say that almost any of the available programs
can be inveigled into doing what most authors or editors need to have done.
What remains is, how much trouble is it to make that happen, and, while
we're at it, how user-friendly and how pleasant to look at and use the
program is. I have already indicated that for me, the paid version of the SoftMaker
suite is the one I have (for now) decided on. However, OpenOffice has indicated
that by mid-year, they will have incorporated a lot of Symphony into their
product; that will certainly make it _appear_ user-friendly. Whether it will have
the capabilities that certain users desire remains to be seen. I, for one,
would cheerfully buy WordPerfect, if it were available for Linux and up-to-date.
(I know that it is at least theoretically possible to get the 2002 version to
work, but it didn't have the MS fonts in the Linux version, and it would not
be able to cope with the modern MS file formats, or, for that matter, ODT.)

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. A.M.
Greeley