Re: [opensuse] own environment variables in init scripts
El lun 04 mar 2013 14:12:33 CLST, Cristian Rodríguez escribió:
El lun 04 mar 2013 14:00:42 CLST, Meike Stone escribió:

** what you are trying to do is an horrible bad idea ;P ***
What is horrible on it?

The environment of a process is not the proper place to do this,
daemons must sanitize
the environment before starting, not doing that is a security hole.

What a daemon must do at startup is documented here

http://www.linuxcertif.com/man/7/daemon/

section "SysV Daemons"

Your need of passing arbitrary environment variables to a daemon conflicts with step 4.

Note that those 15 steps in the document describe the ideal behavior.
I have not found any that either implements all the required steps or do them correctly, but a mythological daemon might :-)

Nowdays we aspire to provide functionality as "New-Style Daemons" if possible.