[opensuse] "waiting for device /dev/sda5 to appear" when enabling multipath via mkinitrd
  • From: Darin Perusich <darin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 14:50:20 -0500
Hello All,

I've run into an issue when attempting to configure a opensuse 12.1
system for multipath IO to an iSCSI SAN. I'm following the SLES
Storage Admin Guide for LVM2 on multipath device, link below, and
after adding dm-multipath to INITRD_MODULES in /etc/sysconfig/kernel
and running "mkinitrd -f multipath" I reboot the machine and get the
message "waiting for device /dev/sda5 to appear" following by a lot of
!!!!!!, i'm promoted to fallback on /dev/sda5, whether I select Y|n i
get lots of !!!! again them am dropped into a shell. when I exit out
of this shell the system boots fine. I've black listed this device by
WWID in multipath.conf and check this config in initrd and it's set
correctly but it appears as though it trying to do multipath with it.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be causing this and how
to resolve?

http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLES/SLES-storage_sd_draft/multipathing.html#mpiousinglvm

--
Later,