Re: [opensuse] 10 days out - 12.3 recommendations
On 04/03/13 10:58, John Andersen wrote:
I'm running 12.3rc2 is a virtual machine, but am planning to redo my main
laptop in 12.3 when its final. (Its currently hanging back at 11.4 waiting for
12.3).

So the same question that comes up every time I look at re-basing my machine:
Nuke and fresh install or Upgrade in place?

Take my advice: "nuke" and do a clean install.

Upgrading leaves garbage behind which will eventually come and bite you on the bum.

If it isn't too late (ie, you still have space on the HDD) create a new partition - call it, say, 'data' and within this create a folder <whatever>; then symlink to this folder your /.mozilla, /.thunderbird, Downloads, Documents, whatever else you consider ESSENTIAL. This way when you install fresh and your Home is being overwritten all your essential data is safely stored in /data/<whatever>/ and you then recreate the symlinks to this in the new, fresh /home. On my system I have /data/Symed/ as the storage of my essentials and I symlink for /home to this storage. (And I then regularly backup just the one directory, /data/Symed, to a memory stick.)

[pruned]

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.00 & kernel 3.8.1-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor