[opensuse] Grub2 and installing multiple distros on same computer
A while back I had a bit of a gripe about grub2 (vs grub) because it wasn't clear how I would be able to install other distros on my computer apart from my main openSUSE. At that time I wished that I had used grub when I installed 12.2.

Well, earlier today I took the plunge and decided to create the situation whereby I could install Tumbleweed and openSUSE RC2 later today - or, if I failed, to re-install 12.2 from scratch using grub.

With my heart in my mouth I started the procedure - only to find that I still had a working 12.2 but now with the ability to install more distros.

In fact the whole process was "a piece of cake" so to speak.

If others are contemplating doing same I recommend reading which is where I got my "inspiration" from:

http://www.linuxidentity.com/us/index.php?name=CmodsDownload&file=index&req=getit&lid=38

use Okular to view it, and save it.

The article is titled, "Installing Multiple Distributions on the same computer".

Read this article SEVERAL+ times before doing anything.

I read the article before I installed 12.2 and chose to go the Case #3 way when installing 12.2. 12.2 was installed, but then I got stuck with working out what to do next - and only found the stomach to "take the plunge" today.

However, just before the end of the process I broke out in a profuse sweat because on page #16 of the article it states, "Then run the command sudo grub-mkconfig -o ..........". When doing so I got the error message that I was way up there with the fairies as the command "grub-mkconfig" is something I dreamt up after being sprinkled with Tinker Bell's pixie dust.

Well, the answer was that the command should read "grub2-mkconfig". Once I found this out everything worked to its finality as expected.

One more thing:

go into YaST2>Bootloader and make sure that it is sited as described in the article. If not, adjust and save the changes.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.00 & kernel 3.8.0-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor