Re: [opensuse] Grub 2???
On 2012-10-30 17:21 (GMT) Carl Fletcher composed:

James Knott wrote:

Carl Fletcher wrote:

James Knott wrote:

There were some recent updates, including kernel to my 12.2
systems. I now have a "Grub 2" item in the boot menu. When I try
it, I get a file not found error and the computer processed to a
very basic menu. What's the purpose of this Grub2?

Can we assume your 12.2 installs were upgrades from and earlier release?

Yes. Both were upgraded from 12.1.

Typically you should be able to just ignore the grub 2 entry, as I take
it the legacy option is booting OK?
If you want to upgrade to grub 2 only you need to remove legacy grub
And typically install grub 2 like this:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
grub2-install /dev/sda

Counterpoint:
http://old-en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F

If you're happy with booting currently, I strongly recommend you do NOT "upgrade" to Grub 2. If you remove that last/new stanza, your boot menu will be, and should stay, cleaner. 'zypper rm grub2' may do that for you.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/