Re: Re: [opensuse] Re: Dual boot 12.2 & W7
  • From: Dennis Gallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 11:09:10 -0400

On 2012-10-29 08:28, Oddball wrote:
I was not aware about that. So buying openSUSE was not all bad... So you
use their multibooter instead of grub(2), or only if you install after
Linux?

In this laptop I use grub. In a computer I set up for other people I used
Windows booter, because Windows is their principal os and this way service
packs do not complain. Grub has to be installed anyway, but away in a
partition, not in MBR.

And the Windows boot manager can handle logical partitions now, too (actually,
since Vista). It still uses the DOS-based MBR code looking for a primary
partition where its boot database must reside, but the OS/boot manager (the
equiv to grub's stage2) can be on another/any partition. IMO the downside is
MS very arcane and unfriendly setup/config tools, which is why I used
Neosmart's free EasyBCD. I don't do this for my own machines, but I do
recommend it for users for whom Windows is their primary OS.

Weird or unfriendly partition setups are not due to anything in Windows in
particular, these are decisions made by the hardware oem. And taking all 4
primaries is one of the worst examples.