Re: [opensuse] Huawei modem-software/drivers, integrated in kernel-firmware modules?
  • From: Bogdan Cristea <cristeab@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:52:01 +0200
On Thursday 25 October 2012 08:44:00 Oddball wrote:
I have a Huawei E173 3G Modem, which is a Hotplug USB device.
If the device shows up in NM, is it correct to assume that all drivers
are installed?
How can i test if the device is trying to connect a service?
The only thing i can see is that it does not get an ip-address, and so
not connected.
There is no dialog, or error message that shows what is going, or not
going on.
This is at least confusing when one has not ever used the device in a
linux environment.

Usually an application shows a connection dialog, to show that it is
actually doing something, but here i fail to understand what is happening.
There is a change in the systemtray, the icon changes to another one and
there is little progress bar, and then a red 'no parking' sign. Showing
there is no connection.
With my Wi-fi, if my connection is alright, a v-mark on green background
shows shortly, and the connection is established.
But i want to know why there is no connection, and how to solve it.

Does anyone know if additional driver-software has to be installed?
And if so, where to get it?
Or, maybe there is a manual available somewhere?

I have used a similar 3G modem. Look with dmesg to see it your modem is
recognized as such, then use wvdial to connect to your ISP. You could also use
minicom to connect to your modem and check that the usual modem commands are
recognized. From that point on wvdial should be enough to use your modem. For
further information check this site: www.linmodems.org

Most smartphones are directly recognized by openSUSE and you could connect to
the Internet with no further configuration.

--
Bogdan