Re: [opensuse] Manual Xorg configuration help on 12.2
Xorg is not that smart. In another post, I asked for help to configure
my laptop to use an external Displayport-monitor. That's because Xorg is
not smart enough to configure it right. In KDE's program to configure
the monitors, the two monitors are seen, but I can't get it to really
use the external monitor. And resolution configurations I set for the
external monitor are applied to the laptop's screen.

So Xorg of OS 12.2 may be smart, but not smart enough to let me set up
my hardware. Old Ubuntu 10.04 has no problem with it though.
I really don't like Ubuntu, but I can't use OpenSuse because of my
display-problems.

My frustrated 2 cents,

Koenraad Lelong.

P.S. just saw I finally had a reply, after about two weeks ! I'm going
to try when I get my Opensuse to boot again. Now it fails, because of my
messing with the display-settings.

An update.
I managed to repair my Suse. With sax3 I made extra conf-files for Xorg. I removed those, then my Suse could boot again.
I also tried with a VGA-cable on the same external monitor. Then I did have an active second screen. Displayport still does not work though. With Ubuntu it does work, so no hardware faults.

Still open for suggestions what to do next to get the displayport working.

Regards,

Koenraad Lelong.