Re: [opensuse] Manual Xorg configuration help on 12.2
On 2012-10-23 11:02 (GMT-0400) Mark Hounschell composed:

The TV was purchased long ago, back in 2006 or so,
or I would return it. It is an LG-42lb9df. This might keep me from
having to purchase a new one.

You refer to getting proper mode lines using gtf or cvt. Are there not
proper mode lines in the EDID info parse-edid gave me above from parsing
my binary EDID blob?

The EDID info may well be correct, but it's not in the proper format for placement as a modeline in a config file. A student of modes may well be able to use that EDID data to make one manually, assuming it isn't broken.

I'm not sure gtf or cvt will be able to give them
to me. Don't they attempt to read the EDID info from the TV?

I don't know how they work. I do doubt they're actually relevant. I've never since the migration from XFree86 to Xorg found it necessary to provide a modeline via a config file to get desired results. I've always found Xorg smart enough to use PreferredMode in conjunction with HorizSync and VertRefresh to autogenerate what it needs in cases where EDID is insufficient, broken or missing entirelly.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/