Re: [opensuse] Re: Piracy
On 10/22/2012 12:51 PM, James Knott wrote:
Duaine Hechler wrote:
Since I came from the mainframe era, I have been saying for years, the best way MS (and others) can stop piracy, like the mainframe, query the CPU serial number (if not available now, make it so) and have an encryption key built off of it. That way of the encryption key does not match, the software does not run.

How many personal computers have a serial number that can be read by software? On the VAX 11/780, the serial number was configured with shorting jumpers on a block of pins.

What about computers with multiple CPUs? A separate license for each?
For multiple CPUs, there was a handler builtin that would read all the serial numbers and generate a "coverall" encryption key..

BTW, yes, it was a logistical nightmare, but it worked.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ - Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding