Re: [opensuse] Dual boot 12.2 & W7
On Sun, 2012-10-21 at 12:23 -0400, James Knott wrote:
Hans Witvliet wrote:
i examined the drive and noticed that all primary partitions are already
in use:
sda1 200M ntfs 15%
sda2 442G ntfs 7%
sda3 20G ntfs 90%
sda4 4g fat 73%
Obviously, no media were supplied with the laptop.

What are all those partitions used for? Generally, you have one for C:
and one for restoring your system. Also, you should create the restore
DVDs with a utility that's usually included. DVDs might also be
available on request.

When I installed openSUSE on my ThinkPad, I used the Windows partition
resize utility to shrink C: to about 90 GB. The drive is 300 GB and
there are 3 NTFS partitions, 1.17 GB for system drivers, 11.72 GB for
system recovery and 89.89 GB for C:. After C: was resized, I booted the
openSUSE DVD and installed. Worked fine. You would have to shrink that
442 GB partition to install Linux.

Hi James, Felix,

Can not tell what the purpose is of all theses partitions.
At least, yet.
I never booted it under W7. Only from a live-KDE-dvd.

Just as a precaution i did a dd of the entire sda towards a usb-disk.
Someone gave me that suggestion, so should be able to restore the hdd
to "just out of the box", i hope.
That took some hours, but i'll guess i've to face "the evil empire" ;-)
And see if there is any media-creation tool there,..

fingers crossed!