Re: [opensuse] Suse 12.2 and Windows 7 (again) won't dual boot HP laptop
  • From: Rajko <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 19:50:57 -0500
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:53:13 -0500
Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been through the Suse archives.

I would think there should be some sort of document somewhere that
adequately addresses this problem, it's been around since the early
11.x releases.

In recent years there was no problems as long as user did not
ignore instructions given by YaST Installer, so docs are a bit rusty.
Now with rise of UEFI we will have some fun again and update docs at:
http://doc.opensuse.org
and
http://en.opensuse.org

Other gave you advice, but let me reiterate.

- Resize windows volume and partition using windows native tools. This
is 2 stage operation that windows native tool will do both at once,
just tell how much room you need and it will be done. I used it since
it was recommended and had no problems, beside it will not give up
more then about one half of the disk :)

Windows tend to keep unmovable files somewhere in the middle of the
disk, which has some technical merits that benefit their users. Felix
explained what to do to go around this, and shrink partition more.

- Install.

Following advices around the web, can be misleading.
My favorite is information that boot record is 446 bytes large.
SUSE engineers found out that starting with Vista you can change only
440 bytes.
Use old value of 446, and your windows will not boot anymore.
Use some old program that still operates with 446, and your windows is
doomed.

If you need more details then post the result of:

fdisk -l

Post what you see when computer boots?
What happens when you start windows?
It should not take a lot of lines to describe exactly what you see.

--
Regards, Rajko.