Re: [opensuse] screen reader problems
On Friday 19 October 2012 00:20:16 j debert wrote:
On 10/18/2012 08:24 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2012-10-19 05:05, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2012-10-18 22:51 (GMT-0400) Bob S composed:
it didn't work. The xhost command said it was adding to the list.
OK, I think. Then the ssh -X command replies connect to port 22.
connection refused. Same result as user or root. Something else
afoot I guess.

Hello everybody who has followed this thread Tjanks to all, especially Patrick
and Felix. Once I followed their combinrd advice Jovie started to work,
crapppy as it is. (sounds like R2D2 in Star Wars but not as good)

sshd is not enabled by default. As root do 'chkconfig sshd on;
rcsshd start', then try again.

Better use yast, the firewall has to be opened as well, ssh port is
closed by default.

Thanks C but as Felix pointed out I do not use SuSE firewall. I have a
hardware firewall in my FIOS router. Besides I don't have any State Secrets
so I don't worry about it.

I may be second-guessing the OP here but I suspect that in order to
use Yast, a screen reader will be required. If the firewall set up
can be done at all on the command line then that would probably be
most helpful. And since I'm not up to speed on SuSEfirewall2 (I prefer
the elegant and versatile command line), that would have to be left to
someone else (other than me).

There are few dilemmas quite like needing a screen reader to use a GUI
interface to set up the screen reader to make it possible to use the
GUI interface to set up the screen reader.

Thank goodness I can still mostly use a GUI because it is intuitive abd I can
guess ar some stuff. Any long commands are impossible brcause I invariably
make typos as I cannot see the keyboard or what I have typede on the screen
very well.

To whover it was that suggested that I am a dumbass or clueless I say: I know
very well rhe functions and properties of the user and root. I have been
using Linux for many many years, since Redhat 5 something. In my sighted days
I compiled kernels, built rpm's or whatever. You run a command as a user and
it does't work. You say to yourself "Hey, what the heck" and runit as root.
Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but maybe that will tell you something,

Anyway, thanks to all who contribued. Maybe this will benefit somebody else.

Bob S