[opensuse] Re: Re: 12.2 on a Windows 7 machine

It would appear that on Oct 19, Jim Sabatke did say:

Subject: Re: Re: 12.2 on a Windows 7 machine

Now I need to find out if I can get away with making my fairly new HP laptop
strictly a Linux box (if it is a challenge to make it dual boot). The only
issues I see are:

As a dedicated multi-booter, I want to say that dual booting shouldn't be a
challenge if it's done right... I'll explain what I mean below.

- Wireless support, which I have read is now well supported as of 12.2
(Broadcom 802.11 Wireless Adapter, builtin).

I can't offer much advice on that part, considering my "wireless"
experience is limited to ONE laptop on which I had to resort to an external
USB wireless adapter due to being unable to get the built-in broadcom
adapter to work {even with the Vista that came preinstalled}

- The ability to stop the touch-pad driver when a mouse is plugged in. The
touch-pad is so ridiculously sensitive that it is useless. I'm sure that's an
easy adjustment to make.

On this I MAY be able to offer some help. As long as that touchpad is
synaptics compatible.

I myself have serious issues with the sensitivity of the synaptics touchpad on
my Gateway laptop. For me the ideal is to disable all "tapping" and virtual
"scrollwheel" functions. But I couldn't make sense out of the complex rule
configurations that were supposedly necessary. That is until I discovered a
scriptable command line utility called synclient. It's designed for making
instant changes on the fly. The settings don't survive rebooting, but I've
found that adding synclient line(s) in my $HOME/.xinitrc file works well for
me. synaptics itself has a LOT of options (try "man synaptics" to learn about
them.) But since your talking about "disabling" it...:

- - - - - - - - -< s n i p >- - - - - - - - - -

Option "TouchpadOff" "integer"
Switch off the touchpad. Valid values are:

0 Touchpad is enabled
1 Touchpad is switched off
2 Only tapping and scrolling is switched off
Property: "Synaptics Off"

- - - - - - - - -< s n i p >- - - - - - - - - -

You could turn toggle the features you want on and off one the fly with a
couple of user scripts, or just type the commands (While the X server is
running) One thing though the syntax of synclient is slightly different from
synaptics option statements...

instead of:
Option "TouchpadOff" "integer"
The syntax for synclient is:
synclient TouchpadOff="integer"

IE: to totaly disable the touchpad:

synclient TouchpadOff=1

To completely re-enable:

synclient TouchpadOff=0

Speaking for myself just putting:

synclient TouchpadOff=2

in any script that runs on X initialization does wonders for me...

- - - - - - - - -< s n i p >- - - - - - - - - -

Now back to the concept of dual booting:

I'll admit I haven't had to set up an "Windows 7" for dualbooting yet. But
For a while there I thought I was going to get a new laptop and looked into
it.

If this HP laptop is still a Windows 7 machine then as long as you make sure
you don't trash the windows 7 "loader" in the process of adding Linux,you
should be OK. I found a tutorial on how to do this with ubuntu:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9059/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-ubuntu/

And the only part that seems different from setting up dual boot with Vista
was the repartioning because it seems the Windows 7 loader is on a separate
partition. And it appears that the partitioning tool in the ubuntu 9.10
installer can deal with it. But I'd be inclined to pre-partition with
gparted. Which should show a small first partition of something like 100 Meg,
that it will likely call /dev/sda1. Be careful not to change that one.

Most likely the rest of the hard drive will be one big partition (/dev/sda2)
Which is what you resize (shrink) to make room for Linux. {Though it's a good
idea to use some partition backup tool such as clonezilla to backup this
/dev/sda2 to a usb drive first...}

You could stop there if OpenSuSE's installer has a "use free space" option Or
you can go ahead and make Linux and swap partitions with gparted. And tell
the installer to use custom preformated partitions. in which case you need to
tell it where to mount those Linux partitions. Then go ahead and let it put
grub on the mbr. It should automatically include a menu choice to boot windows
by chainloading the 1st partition which grub will call (hd0,0) except I think
grub2 calls it (hd0,1)...

On the other hand, if you already replaced windows 7 with OpenSuSE, planning
to reinstall Win 7 as the second choice, well now would be a good time to
find out if you can learn to cut the cord and run a pure OpenSuSE box.

I hope this helps...