Re: [opensuse] wifi problems
On 10/19/2012 02:34 PM, Mark Hounschell wrote:
On 10/19/2012 02:36 PM, Billie Walsh wrote:
On 10/19/2012 01:28 PM, Mark Hounschell wrote:
On 10/19/2012 02:06 PM, Billie Walsh wrote:
On 10/19/2012 12:36 PM, Mark Hounschell wrote:
On 10/19/2012 11:06 AM, James Knott wrote:
Mark Hounschell wrote:
I didn't realize that about the laptop antenna. The interior walls are just normal dry wall.
I'll have to find out about the actual dBm on her laptop.

I've just now been reading this too.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx#fbid=liKhosl6OWO

Another possibility is to use Ethernet connected portable access points, such as the Asus WL-330Ge or D-Link DAP-1350. These devices can act as Ethernet connected WiFi adapters and can be placed where convenient for best signal

Are these different than what I see called a "range extender"? Like the LinkSys RE1000?

Mark

We've used the cheap Linksys routers from Wal Mart to connect to another Linksys router between houses. All of ours Linksys routers have been "updated" with the DD-WRT firmware. Gives loads more configuration options than the standard software they come with.

That's interesting. I saw info about DD-WRT on the WWW while investigating this problem. I said to myself then, if I had another LinkSys router I would try this. I don't have another lying around though. I don't remember mine being too cheap though. Seems like it was $40-60. It's been 2-3 years though.

Mark

All things are relative. Take a "cheap" Linksys router and turn it into a three or four hundred dollar router by upgrading the firmware.

We cranked the power up to a quarter watt on one, connected it to a parabolic outdoor antenna and had a solid connection eight miles away. Not to shabby for fifty or so dollars.

Do it to two of them with external parabolics and have a link over miles of terrain. Needs to be relatively line-of-sight. Hills and trees will kill the signal.

So are you saying I could just take my existing Linksys router, flash the firmware, then boost the power so my whole house was covered?

Mark

House heck, half the neighborhood. *<]:oD If you crank the power up all the way though you need to provide a little colling fan for long term use. The transmitter finals will handle it just fine but it does generate some heat.

--
“The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse
every time Congress meets.”

— Will Rogers