Re: [opensuse] wifi problems
On 10/19/2012 02:06 PM, Billie Walsh wrote:
On 10/19/2012 12:36 PM, Mark Hounschell wrote:
On 10/19/2012 11:06 AM, James Knott wrote:
Mark Hounschell wrote:
I didn't realize that about the laptop antenna. The interior walls are just normal dry wall.
I'll have to find out about the actual dBm on her laptop.

I've just now been reading this too.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx#fbid=liKhosl6OWO

Another possibility is to use Ethernet connected portable access points, such as the Asus WL-330Ge or D-Link DAP-1350. These devices can act as Ethernet connected WiFi adapters and can be placed where convenient for best signal

Are these different than what I see called a "range extender"? Like the LinkSys RE1000?

Mark

We've used the cheap Linksys routers from Wal Mart to connect to another Linksys router between houses. All of ours Linksys routers have been "updated" with the DD-WRT firmware. Gives loads more configuration options than the standard software they come with.

That's interesting. I saw info about DD-WRT on the WWW while investigating this problem. I said to myself then, if I had another LinkSys router I would try this. I don't have another lying around though. I don't remember mine being too cheap though. Seems like it was $40-60. It's been 2-3 years though.

Mark