Re: [opensuse] Problems with 12.2
On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 17:33 -0500, Duaine Hechler wrote:
* Duaine Hechler <dahechler@xxxxxxx> [10-18-12 18:04]:
On 10/18/2012 12:28 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2012-10-18 11:54 (GMT-0500) Duaine Hechler composed:

Don't forget different (aka cruddy) media quality and burn speed....
Same parameters and media that I used for 12.1 DVD <frown>
If one-write media, try RW instead. If +, try - instead. Try reburning
12.1
and see if the reburn works.
I'm now suspecting that it's the DVD burner. Is there any sure fire
software, out there, to test the drive ?

Yes, these are called: k3b,dd and md5sum.

take an iso-image, calculate the md5 yourself (just incase),
burn it (iso-file locally, single speed) with k3b and enable "verify"
rip the just burned dvd,
calculate again the md5,
compare both md5 checksum.

btw, while burning check the load of the system.
If it is heavily swapping or with high load one get unpredictable
results. While burning, do a tail -f on /var/log/messages:
hardware-errors will get mentioned there -;)

btw2, try other brand of media. afaicr there are three or four levels of
quality. Some are cheap as dirt, but with an obvious reason.

btw3, depending how often you are going to use that particular dvd, you
might consider other ways of installing: net-boot-cdrom, pxe-boot or
usb-stick. I would recommend pxe-boot...

hw