Re: [opensuse] Re: add prompt to rm command
Carlos E. R. said the following on 10/18/2012 10:58 AM:
On 2012-10-18 16:52, Anton Aylward wrote:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 10/18/2012 10:23 AM:
I have to agree with this. I would use different wording though,
like "dangerous". :-)

Lots of things are dangerous.

We can not publicly advise dangerous Linux practices on a help list.

Yes we can and yes we do!
Look back: we've advised people about editing the partition table -
that's high risk of zapping your system, certainly more prone to
disastrous consequences of a type than a user type on a 'rm' command.

But then we also advise prudent and reasonable measure to manage the
risk such as making backups first.

What we *don't* do is tell people who need to edit their partition
table, grow their file system, is not to do that because they can shoot
themselves in their foot if they get it wrong.

Like I keep saying, there is always a risk in just about every aspect of
life. We take reasonable and prudent measures to mitigate the risk and
get on with things. We do not spend out lives avoiding risk.

We can't simply go around telling people "you can't do that because its
dangerous". Nothing would ever get done. Yes, dangerous things have to
be undertaken, and we should understand the risk *AND* we should take
prudent and responsible measures to mitigate the risk.

--
Life's a bitch. Then you die.
Then you get re-incarnated and it starts all over again only worse.