[opensuse] Re: 12.2 on a Windows 7 machine
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 22:49:53 -0500
Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, I've been using Suse for about 15 years now, but I am not a
network or systems guy. My education and background is in software.
I've learned a lot about managing systems because I've had to and I
don't mind learning. The changes from version to version can really
throw me, for example, it took me weeks to get SAMBA working on the
Linux end, but then it worked great (version 11.1). When I upgraded
to 11.2, I saved the SAMBA data and copied it back in and it worked
fine. With 12.1 it no longer works and I haven't been able to figure
it out. I understand and accept the limits of Suse documentation and
have learned a lot struggling with services, but on the other hand,
after 15 years, I still don't understand what "routing" tables are or
how they work, and I've read a lot on it. Those aren't my issues
today, I just want to set your understanding of where I am and my own
limitations.

I want to setup my HP laptop for Windows 7 and Suse 12.2 dual boot. I
would go completely Linux if I knew I could get everything, including
camera and networking working. I also need at least one computer
setup with Windows internet access for online setup of a couple of
device configurations, including my entertainment center remote,
which only works under Windows. I also have a lot of files on the
laptop that I cannot risk losing, but I don't have any easy means to
back them up, especially since SAMBA no longer works on my desktop
system.

That brings up the following:

My laptop has only one partition of the type needed to load an
bootable operating system. I forget the type, but when I tried to
load Suse a year ago I trashed the computer and lost everything. Like
some other things, I don't really understand this aspect really
well. I can certainly setup up partitions otherwise and have been
doing it for many years, including on Windows/Linux computers.
Documentation says "just use gparted," but then no help from there,
and again, I don't want to trash my computer with a mistake from
limited knowledge. I know this is a common issue, and people who do
understand all the issues together have some trouble getting it to
work, but eventually do, but nobody gives a step-by-step, which
shouldn't be that long a document, on how to prepare a system for
find anything that makes sense and I just don't know enough to pull
the trigger, and I don't really know how to acquire the knowledge
because there are so many incomplete and conflicting essays on the
subject. So, I'm asking:

- Is there any help for SAMBA, especially changes since 11.2? That
way I could back up my system and not be so worried. Otherwise, the
home edition of Windows 7 is extremely restrictive about network
connectivity.

- Is there any comprehensive documentation for installing a dual boot
system like I want to do?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Hi
Have a stooge around the forum for articles, blogs and threads ;)

For example;
http://forums.opensuse.org/content/112-swat-samba-web-administration-tool-setup-creation-script-1-03.html

You might also want to look at one of the forum admins site;
http://www.swerdna.net.au/

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop