Re: [opensuse] Configuring TwinView refresh rate
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:44:19 +0100
Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/10/12 11:39, Dylan wrote:
I'm trying to configure my two monitors correctly with the nvidia
driver. The card is a GT520 which drives the monitors correctly
using the nouveau driver:

Display-1: DVI-I-1 1280x1024@60Hz
Display-2: VGA-1 1280x720@75Hz

Unfortunately, when using the nvidia driver (from the nvidia OBS
repo version 304.43) although the DVI connected monitor is
configured correctly, the VGA connected monitor is configured to
run at 50Hz which results in the desktop extending beyond the
physical screen. The nvidia-settings application only gives 50Hz as
an option for that display.

I would be grateful for any help or suggestions...

Dylan
Dylan,

You don't mention which desktop you're using, but here on KDE 2.8.5 I
can adjust my twinview display in System Settings > Display and
Monitor. I'm using the proprietary nvidia drivers, not the nouveau
driver. The nvidia settings application sets both my monitors to run
at 60Hz.

Bob

Hi Dylan,

My laptop has an nVidia GeForce 9300M GS/512MB. I'm running GNOME 2 with
whatever happens to be the latest proprietary nvidia driver. From the
'traditional menu': System Tools - NVIDIA X Server Settings (cli =
'nvidia-settings')

The internal laptop display is native 1280 x 800 and set at 60Hz.
The external (standard 15-pin analog VGA): 1680 x 1050 at 60Hz.

After experimenting quite a bit with this setup -- tenaciously seeking
to attain Xinerama heaven, unsuccessfully -- I concluded that certain
'unusual' combinations of settings, such as combining an analog with a
digital display while using greatly divergent parameters such as 32-bit
color with 24-bit color or 50Hz with 60Hz may simply be beyond the
level of sophistication / complexity built into the driver, the
configuration software or even the hardware. I was able to find a
'happy medium' compromise, described above, which satisfies both my
workspace 'real estate' requirement and my ability to enable/disable
the external display at will (for on the road.) I would /prefer/ a 75Hz
refresh rate on the larger, external display but when I set it to that
(via xorg.conf, not the gui) the internal display goes black. The only
other idea I can offer is to confirm that each display is properly
identified as to make and model, or, if it's an 'unknown', properly configured.

hth & ymmv of course,

Carl