[opensuse] Desktop mime rules for a directory
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:36:02 +0200
I doubt this is possible. But I have to ask:

I would like to add a MIME type / application link for a directory based
on the possible existence of files with a certain extension in that
directory. Or even the existence of a specific named file in that
directory.

The reason is that these directories contain data from a measurement
session of one of our applications. At the command line (where I live),
the directory name can be given to access various files in the
directory. One need not enter the directory or use the
directory/filename. When one needs to operate on hundreds of such
directories, this is a real bonus.

I would like a similar feature on the desktop. Right-click on the
folder, and the various app options are presented. But these should only
be presented if the directory is 'one of ours'. The directory name
itself is not something I can play with. So I cannot make a rule based
on that.

I know that some other OS detect, say, a folder if MP3s. If you open the
folder, it instead starts the MP3 player. Not exactly what I would want
personally. But for our data sets, this would be quite nice.

Any ideas? I am targeting KDE. But I think these rules are more
generally defined and are used by other desktops.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20