Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to roll-back or undo an entire upgrade?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 13:32:29 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

On 2012-10-07 03:25 (GMT-0400) Per Jessen composed:

I've recently upgraded a laptop from 11.4 to 12.2 - the upgrade went
very well, no issues at all. However, the machine is clearly not
"big" enough to run 12.2+KDE, and the user is now complaining about
it being

What CPU/speed and gfxchip does it have?

It's a Celeron 1.5GHz with ATI Radeon Xpress 200M. Not exactly a
powerful workstation, but it's been doing a fine job until this
upgrade.

slow and difficult to work with. I could always re-install 11.4, but
I thought I'd ask about the possibility of doing a downgrade?

Before doing anything so drastic you might want to try performance
tweaking:

1:create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-composite.conf containing:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Is this related to openGL compositing? When I go into "System
Settings"->"Desktop Effects", it says OpenGL Compositing is disabled
due to an earlier crash.

2:disable automatic nepomuk/strigi startup:
A:make sure ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc includes:
[Basic Settings]
Start Nepomuk=false

Check.

[main Settings]
Storage Dir[$e]=$HOME/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/
Used Soprano Backend=null

I have Backend=redland.

rebuilt index for type indexing=false

and indexing=true.

[Service-nepomukstrigiservice]
autostart=false

B:make sure ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukstrigirc includes:
[General]
exclude folders[$e]=$HOME/tmp/null
index hidden folders=false
index newly mounted=false

I've created that file now.

3:go into desktop settings and deslect most or all of the individual
effects

If those alone are not enough:

4:install KDE3 and/or LXDE and/or XFCE & make it default WM

KDE3 might just be a possibility, thanks for reminding me.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.9°C)