Re: [opensuse] Do we have anything similar to Debian's mbr package?
There is a package named master-boot-code. It includes the file
/usr/lib/boot/master-boot-code which is the DOS mbr boot code that can be used
by Windows. The file is 512 bytes, the length of the mbr including its
partition table; but the bytes where the table resides at the end are empty.
This is the file that YaST uses if the user selects the option to have "generic
boot code" installed to the mbr. All that is required is to copy the the first
440 bytes to the first sector of your target disk with a utility like dd.

The package also includes the program /usr/sbin/fixmbr. AFAICT it does that
copying for you, like the various Windows mbr fix programs. The syntax is
simply "fixmbr <disk>" (w/o quotes).