Re: [opensuse] VGA mode question
On 2012-10-05 10:43 (GMT+0700) Constant Brouerius van Nidek composed:

After a big update the VGA mode was automatically changed to 1289x1024, 16
bits. Nice mode (31a) but too small for my eyes. Changed it to my standard
mode 1024x768 and because I had the choice, I choose the 16 bits
resolution (317). This resulted in some strange effects in e.g. kmail.
Instead of one color it showed three to four stripe in strong colors.
Changed it on good luck to mode 316 , 1024x768 15 bits and the display is
as it should.

Started to google on VGA modes and bits but did not learn why the 16 bits
at the high resolution was okay and why it gave problems at a lower
resolution.

Could somebody tell me in plain English what I did and why I had the
strange effects. Should I have known the right VGA Mode? Why do I have
choices for modes if they give problems? Is there a method to find out
what the best bit setting is for my screen? What should have happened if I
would choose the 24 bit Mode? (don't want to blow my computer ;) )

I don't think I've heard of anyone "blowing" a computer by choosing to use 24 bit video, but you haven't provided enough information to enable much help.

1-Which OS version?
2-What's your display type?
3-What's your display's native resolution?
4-What video chip(s) (output from lscpi line that includes VGA)?
5-How are you determining how many bits are being used?
6-Does /etc/X11/xorg.conf exist? If so, what's in it?
7-Changed mode to 316/317/1024x768 exactly how?
8-Are you discussing KDE trouble exclusively, or also the ttys?
9-KDE3, or KDE4?
10-Have you tried changing font sizes by any method other than mode changing?
11-What does "big update" mean?
12-How long ago was your original install?

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/