Re: [opensuse] rsyslog truncates messages after recent update [WAS: rsyslog drops thousands of messages]
* Otto Rodusek <otto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [10-03-12 07:43]:
Hmm...that's interesting...in fact it's not just my /var/log/messages but
all my logs (/var/log/mail, /var/log/warn, etc etc).

I cited /var/log/messages but I see no noticable abnormality in any of my
log files.

However, as I pointed out to Carlos, systemd-journalctl reports all the
messages correctly without truncation.

I see this also

Any idea what the "local problem" may be or where to look? Interesting
enough, I have another system that is also 12.2 x86_64, just updated via
yast2 to rsyslog 5.10.0 yesterday, also exhibits the same truncation
problem now. The systems are located in completely different areas and
are not linked.

No, I do not. But I have three boxes, 2 with Tumbleweed and 1 with 12.2
upgraded from 12.1, which do *not* show truncation.

As with Carlos, if I revert back to rsyslog 5.8.5 problem goes away!! I
re-install rsyslog 5.10.0 and the truncation problem returns!!

Thanks for shedding any light on this issue!!

I would guess some kind of race condition but believe there is no relation
to rsyslog and journald and that it appears the *same* chars are dropped
from similar logs. Is it possibly a locale problem? I have
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8.