Re: [opensuse] Re: How to get system mail delivered to user?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 08:03:52 +0200
Malcolm wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 21:07:15 +0100
Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 01/10/12 20:49, Malcolm wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 20:21:10 +0100
Bob Williams
<linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Once upon a time, in the days of oS 12.1 and earlier, I used to
get system mail delivered to me. This seems to have stopped since
moving to 12.2, in spite of the fact that my user has the 'Receive
System Mail' option checked in YaST > Security and Users > User
and Group Management.

:~> mail
No mail for bob
:~> su -
Password:
:~# mail
Heirloom mailx version 12.5 7/5/10. Type ? for help.
"/var/spool/mail/root": 17 messages 17 new

Is there anything else I need to do? Add myself to :wheel?

Bob
Hi
Edit the file /etc/postfix/aliases there is a section called 'root'
add your user name, probably needs un-rem as well ;) save/quit
then run newaliases command.

Malcolm,

Many thanks. Presumably YaST should have done that when I checked the
'Receive System Mail' option?

Bob

Hi Bob
Hmmm it adds it to /etc/aliases by the looks.... which should also
work... (needs to change old habits)

Bob, check if /etc/aliases contains a line like this:

root bob, \root

Also check the dates of /etc/aliases and /etc/aliases.db, the latter
should be newer.

If those are all fine, we'll need to look at your mail log and see what
happens to a mail to root.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.9°C)