Re: [opensuse] Boot Probs with Opensuse 12.2
Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there a tool which shows the non file system stuff on the disk, what
boot records there, in an intelligent (aka non-hex-dump) format, so
that
we can see how the bios is going to boot?

I know that the partition editors flag bootable partitions, but what is
"in there"?

Anton,

I think the answer to your question is no.

== details
Sector 0 (or "master boot record (mbr)") is what drives a standard bios boot
sequence. (I don't know about efi).

The partition table is in a portion of sector zero and various tools will dump
that for you.

But much of sector zero is a small machine code boot loader. You can of course
dissassemble it, but I doubt it would tell you much. Most boot solutions
(lilo, grub, windows) replace the boot loader section of sector 0 with their
own code.

Greg